This great dish has been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra and Tina Wong. It makes a great dinner to start off your week. The fresh Asian flavours, vibrant vegetables and tender steamed chicken are super healthy and super scrumptious, and it can be cooked and on the table in less than an hour, leaving you plenty of time to prepare for the week ahead.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was an easy recipe to follow which doesn't require too much preparation, making it a good wholesome meal for busy people. Sauce is very sweet and has a real kick." - Chris
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- rice bran oil - 20g
- white rice - 400g, Jasmine
- salt - to taste
- whole chicken - 1200g, room temperature
- ginger - 20g, peeled and thinly sliced
- spring onion - 1, halved
- Chinese cooking wine - 50g (Shao Xing wine)
- water - 1.5L, boiling
- cucumber - 1, thinly sliced, to serve
- Ginger sauce:
- ginger - 30g, peeled
- chilli - 1, red, halved
- limes - 2, juice only
- raw sugar - 40g
- salt - to taste
- sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Place garlic clove (1) in mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Add oil (20g). Program 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Add rice (400g) and salt (to taste). Program 1 minute / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2. Transfer rice into internal steaming basket and set aside.
- Fill mixer bowl with boiling water (1.5L).
- Stuff chicken (1200g) with ginger (20g only) and spring onion (1), transfer to the steaming attachment lower dish and cover with wine (50g). Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Insert simmering basket filled with rice. Program 13 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4.
- Check the chicken is cooked before resting for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Slice chicken and serve on rice along with ginger sauce and sliced cucumber (1). Garnish with spring onions.
- Add ginger (30g) and chilli (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add lime juice (from 2 limes), sugar (40g), salt (to taste) and sesame oil (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 3 / 4 seconds.
Note: The whole chicken can be replaced with 8 chicken drumsticks. For this option, simply place ginger and spring onion in the lower dish of the steaming attachment alongside the chicken.