- Prep Time: 1h 35 min
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: Serves 06-08
Guacamole Bagels with Bacon and Poached Eggs
Brunch does not have to be about all things sweet! We are big fans of savoury options here at T4B headquarters. These bagels are definitely a winner as they are full of flavour and deliciously filling. This recipe makes 8 bagels in total, but you might like to freeze half the bagels for another day and only serve four for brunch.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A little effort to create a delicious result! The whole family loved this special treat breakfast." - Kylie
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 20 minutes + 1 hour 15 minutes rising time
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Bagels can be frozen
You will need:
small circle cutter
2 baking trays
large serving bowl
internal steaming basket
- white vinegar - 50g
- eggs - 4, or 8 if serving all the bagels
- bacon - 4 slices, or 8 if serving all the bagels
- milk - 320g, (*can use water or rice milk for DF)
- yeast - 3 tsp, dried
- sugar - 1/2 Tbsp, optional (this helps feed your yeast but can be omitted if preferred)
- plain flour - 500g, or bakers flour
- salt - 1 tsp
- sesame seeds - to garnish, optional
- Guacamole (halve if only serving 4):
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled
- lime - 1/2-1, juice only
- taco seasoning - 2 tsp
- avocado - 4, peeled, stone removed and roughly chopped
- tomato - 3, fresh, seeds removed and flesh diced small
- fresh coriander - optional
- Add the milk (320g), dried yeast (3 tsp) and sugar (1/2 Tbsp, if using) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add the plain flour (500g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function. Whilst kneading, add the salt (1 tsp) through the lid.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Set aside for 45 minutes.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl, knocking the air bubbles out of it as you remove it.
- Divide your dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll one piece into a ball, then flatten it with the palm of your hand to form a disc shape.
- Using a small circle cutter (e.g., a small container, olive oil spray lid, biscuit cutter), cut out a circle from the middle of the dough to resemble a bagel shape. Add the leftover dough into the next dough ball and repeat the same process.
- Repeat for all the remaining dough portions.
- Allow the dough to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Place a large saucepan of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Carefully place a bagel into the saucepan of boiling water.
- Cook for 2 minutes on the first side, then gently flip the bagel over, avoiding splashes. Cook the second side for 2 minutes. Place onto the prepared tray and sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
- Repeat for all bagels.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until baked through.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and filling.
- Add the peeled red onion (1/2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the lime juice (from 1/2-1 lime), taco seasoning (2 tsp), peeled and chopped avocados (4) and fresh diced tomatoes (3) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 5 / 5 seconds, or until combined.
- Move the guacamole into a large serving bowl. You may wish to season it further with salt, pepper or fresh coriander.
- Fill an electric kettle with water and bring to a boil.
- Grease the internal steaming basket with oil. Set the basket in place.
- Set the mixer scales to zero. Add the boiled water to the bowl, along with any extra water required to bring the scales to 1.6kg.
- Add the white vinegar (50g) to the bowl. Program 7 minutes / 115C* / Speed 1.
- Once your water has reached the desired temperature, program 4 minutes / 115C* / Speed 1.
- With the timer going, crack an egg into a cup and then pour it into the bowl through the hole in the lid.
- Repeat with as many eggs as you require, up to 4 eggs at a time. If cooking 8 eggs, you will need to do these in two batches.
- Remove the basket safely from the bowl with your spatula. Carefully spoon the eggs out of the basket to serve.
- Cook the bacon slices (4) to your liking.
- Top each bagel with some guacamole.
- Top with a slice of bacon and finish with poached egg. Serve immediately.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own taco seasoning with the Taco Seasoning recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.