Grilled Sweet Potato and Walnut Salad
If you love sweet potatoes, you will love this salad! Not a fan? Swap it out for pumpkin or Kipfler potatoes. This hearty salad is absolutely delicious teamed up with our Worcestershire Steaks from this issue.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A tasty change from our usual salads that I am looking forward to sharing with visitors the next time we have a gathering." - Sue
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
large mixing bowl
- sweet potato - 2, large, peeled and sliced into rounds
- onion - 1, red, peeled and diced large
- rocket - 100g, leaves
- pomegranate - 1, arils only
- feta cheese - 100g
- walnuts - 100g, chopped
- garlic cloves - 1, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- orange juice - 50g
- honey - 40g
- nutmeg - pinch
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- pumpkin - to replace sweet potatoes
- potato - Kipfler, to replace sweet potatoes
- Add the peeled garlic clove (1), olive oil (20g), orange juice (50g), honey (40g), nutmeg (pinch), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Using the spatula, ensure there is no honey remaining beneath the blades. If there is, process again.
- Coat the peeled and sliced sweet potatoes (2) and peeled and diced red onion (1) in half of the marinade.
- Fire up the BBQ to a medium heat.
- Cook the marinated onion and sweet potato over the grill until tender.
- Cut the cooked sweet potato into chunks.
- Place the rocket leaves (100g) on a large platter. Top with the cooked onion and sweet potato.
- Cut the pomegranate (1) in half horizontally along its equator (i.e. don’t cut through the spiky bit at the top, cut the opposite way along the middle). Spread your fingers and lay the cut side of the pomegranate on your fingers. Have a bowl in front of you and, with a wooden spoon, bash the arils from the pomegranate into the bowl. You need to bash hard, and you may need to manually remove some. Take out any pieces of pith that fall into the bowl. Do this for the other side too.
- Scatter the feta cheese (100g), chopped walnuts (100g) and pomegranate arils (from 1 pomegranate) over the top of the vegetables.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing.