Grilled Sesame Soy Chicken with Broccolini
A cheap, simple recipe that can be prepared the night before and left to marinate overnight. So quick to make, and the balance of flavours is just perfect, if we do say so ourselves! Choose your preferred type of chicken for this recipe. Tenderise the chicken by giving it a bit of a bash before marinating for optimum results.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I'll admit I was surprised that the taste was amazing. I did not think it had enough ingredients, but they were perfectly balanced to produce a delicious dish. It was a huge hit with our two year-old also. It's now on the rotation." - Anthony
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes + 4-6 hours marinating time
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Chicken can be frozen before or after cooking
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- soy sauce - 50g (*ensure GF if required)
- sesame seeds - 2 Tbsp
- pepper* - 1/2 tsp
- olive oil - 20g
- chicken breasts - 4 (or 8 thighs)
- water - 500g, room temperature
- broccolini - 2 bunches
- Place the garlic cloves (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add soy sauce (50g), sesame seeds (2 Tbsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 30 seconds.
- Add chicken pieces (4) to a large glass mixing bowl. Pour marinade over the top. Cover with clingfilm so that the clingfilm is in contact with the chicken pieces, not allowing any air to be in contact with the surface of the meat. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, turn BBQ on to medium high heat.
- Add chicken to grill and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Once you have put the chicken on the grill, fill the bowl with room temperature water (500g). Add the broccolini (2 bunches) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. After the 10 minutes, assess if you would like to steam them for a few more minutes or grill them on the BBQ instead.
- Serve chicken over broccolini.
*Pepper, oil and water are considered staples and are not counted in the 5 ingredients.
Want to add something extra?
- Add 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice in Step 2.
- Serve with extra vegetables to suit your family.