Green Eggs and Ham
They may not look particularly attractive but, to quote Dr Suess, ‘Try Them! Try Them!’ This is a really simple recipe that you PART prepare ahead of time, and then combine when you’re ready to eat. The ‘green’ part of the eggs is of course pesto, which is so versatile. This particular pesto combination is easy to add to eggs, and mixes well due to the addition of a small amount of water. The pesto is created in the thermo mixer and then stored in the fridge. The eggs, pesto and ham are combined in a bowl and cooked on the stove.
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Total Preparation Time 5-10 minutes
Pesto makes 5-10 serves of Green Eggs and Ham
Directions make 1 serve of Green Eggs and Ham
Pesto can be frozen, eggs cannot
- pecorino cheese - 25g or other hard cheese like Parmesan (*replace with 1 tsp of salt if requiring dairy free)
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1, optional
- fresh basil - 65g, leaves (approx. 1 large bunch)
- cashews - 60g, or pine nuts
- spring onion - 1
- olive oil - 60g
- water - 50g
- Green Eggs and Ham:
- pesto - 1-2 tsp
- eggs - 2
- ham - 50g
To make the pesto:
- Add the cheese to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- Add the garlic (2 cloves) and chilli (optional) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add the leaves from a bunch of basil (approx. 65g) to the bowl with nuts (60g), spring onion (1) and olive oil (40g only). Chop Speed 7 / 7 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil (20g) and water (50g) to the bowl. Set 1 minute / Speed 3.
- Transfer pesto to a jar and keep refrigerated until use.
To make the Green Eggs and Ham:
- Slice the ham into ribbons, or dice.
- Combine in a bowl with a whisk: ham (50g), eggs (2) and pesto (2 tsp).
- Cook as you would scrambled eggs on a pan on the stove.