Grain Free Thermomix Donuts
Ever wondered about making your own donuts? While grain free donuts Thermomix style MAY have seemed a bit unattainable, we have experimented to prove that it really is possible.
As we talked about in Episode 119 of the podcast: Thermomix Doughnuts, we really wanted to give you a delicious option when it came to grain free donuts in the Thermomix. These little bites of yum are gluten free, grain free and dairy free. We also used xylitol to sub out the sugar, but that is completely up to you.
We tried and tested these grain free donuts Thermomix style… but also tried and tested them both baked AND fried.
Here are our results…
Baked: We used a donut ring baking tray, which can be easily purchased from your local general store. We greased the donut rings and sprinkled them with Thermomix-made cinnamon sugar before spooning the mixture into the rings. For best results only half fill the donut rings, allowing room for them to rise. We baked for 12 minutes at 180C. They were delicious, especially when served warm and soft.
Fried: We heated a small saucepan of oil (we used rice bran oil) to 175-180C. You don’t want the oil to be smoking. We recommend heating the oil slowly! We used two metal spoons to dollop the mixture into the oil before cooking for 2 minutes each side. Too dark? Reduce the heat of the oil. You want them golden brown and cooked through. These are more like the deep fried donuts you would get from a food truck. Yummy.
Topping: We topped our donuts with cinnamon sugar. We made this with 50g sugar / xylitol : 1/4 tsp cinnamon and blitzed in the Thermomix on Speed 10 / 3 seconds, or longer if you prefer.
Let us know how you go!
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 1-2 hours
- almonds - 40g
- almond milk - 80g, or your preferred milk
- yeast - 1 Tbsp, dried
- sugar - 60g, or xylitol
- besan / chickpea flour - 130g
- tapioca starch - 120g
- eggs - 3
- olive oil - 60g
- baking powder - 1 tsp, gluten free
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- xanthan gum - 1/4 tsp
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- Add almonds (40g) to the bowl. Grind Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add almond milk (60g), yeast (1 Tbsp) and xylitol / sugar (60g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add the reserved almond meal (40g), besan (130g), tapioca starch (120g), eggs (3), olive oil (60g), baking powder (1 tsp), vanilla extract (1 tsp), xanthan gum (1/4 tsp) and apple cider vinegar (20g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Set aside and allow to rise for 1-2 hours, if possible.
- Baking option: Preheat oven to 180C. Spoon mixture into a greased baking tray with donut rings so each hole is half full. We also sprinkled cinnamon sugar into the rings. Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked through. Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.
- Frying option (execute extreme caution!): Slowly bring a saucepan full of oil to a moderate heat of 175-180C. The oil should not be smoking. Using two metal spoons, dollop mixture into the oil and cook for 2 minutes each side. Coat in cinnamon sugar before serving.