Grain Free Tart Shell
With the yummy quiche and tart recipes within this issue we wanted to make sure we were giving our gluten free and grain free friends the option to enjoy them as well. We have tested and tweaked and tested and tweaked this easy recipe for making your own savoury tart shell using grain free ingredients. You will get a yummy buttery edge and base just like you would with traditional shortcrust pastry!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It's like the homemade pastry Grandma used to make! Delicious! You're going to make lots of people very happy with this recipe." - Rach
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes, including chilling time
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Makes 1 tart shell
Can be frozen before or after baking
- besan / chickpea flour - 180g, chickpea flour
- xanthan gum - 1/4 tsp
- tapioca starch - 60g, plus extra for dusting
- butter - 80g, cold, unsalted
- egg - 1
- salt - 2 tsp
- water - 30g, cold
- Add besan (180g), xanthan gum (1/4 tsp), tapioca starch (60g), butter (80g), egg (1), salt (2 tsp) and water (30g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 20 seconds.
- Tip the dough onto a clean bench and roll into ball, cover in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Dust the bench with tapioca starch before rolling the dough out to approximately 0.5cm thickness.
- Line the tart dish by laying the dough across it and pressing the dough into the dish. Press down on the edge of the dish to remove excess pastry.
- Prick with a fork. Line with a piece of baking paper and fill with ceramic pie weights or similar. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and the pie weights from the tart, return to the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Fill with one of the yummy filling ideas in this issue for a delicious grain free quiche or tart!