Grain Free Sweet Pie Pastry
Those unable to have gluten or grains don't need to miss out on yummy, comforting pie! This pastry makes a great base for your choice of our Blueberry Pie Filling, Apricot Pie Filling, Apple Berry Pie Filling and Summer Peach Pie Filling, but it is also perfect for other recipes that need a sweet shortcrust pastry.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This sweet pastry is a delicious and easy grain free alternative. It has a lovely crunchy texture, and I will definitely make this again. It didn't go soggy!" -Kylie
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes + 20 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes enough pastry for 1 x 22cm pies
Can be frozen
- sugar - 50g, or xylitol
- almonds - 200g, blanched
- tapioca starch - 150g
- xanthan gum - 1/4 tsp
- butter - 70g, cubed
- egg - 1
- Add the sugar (50g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 / 5 seconds.
- Add the almonds (200g), tapioca (150g) and xanthan (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the butter (70g) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 1 x 1 second blast. Scrape down sides.
- Program 1 minute / Closed Lid / Kneading Function. After 30 seconds, add an egg (1) through the lid. After the minute is up, the dough should be in popcorn-like pieces. If not, continue with the kneading function.
- Transfer dough to a piece of clingfilm and pull it together in a ball. Separate into 2/3 and 1/3 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, wrap each in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the 2/3 component of the dough between two pieces of baking paper until about 0.5cm thick. Remove the top piece of baking paper, invert the pie dish on the pastry and then tip the dish and pastry over to create a base in the pie dish. Remove the remaining baking paper.
- Add the filling of choice to the pie base.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough between two pieces of baking paper until about 0.5cm thick. Remove one piece of baking paper and then tip the pastry on top of the pie. Remove the remaining baking paper and pinch the edges together.
- Preheat oven to 180C then bake pie for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve pies warm with a dollop of ice cream or some fresh cream.