Grain Free Streusel
This moist grain and gluten free treat is so easy to make and really delicious. It has been shared with us by Georgia Harding from Well Nourished. It is a wonderfully protein and nutrient rich sweet treat, allowing a bit of variety for families needing grain free options.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Rich and versatile! I love this type of dessert. I would like to try it with apple incorporated throughout as well!" -Erika
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- Streusel layer:
- walnuts - 85g
- butter - 20g, melted (*use coconut or macadamia oil for DF)
- sweetener of choice - 55g e.g. rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- quinoa flakes - 50g (or rolled oats if not worried about GF)
- sea salt - pinch
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- butter - 50g, melted (*use coconut or macadamia oil for DF)
- sweetener of choice - 85g, e.g. rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- egg - 1, large
- almond meal - 150g
- arrowroot flour - 2 Tbsp
- desiccated coconut - 20g
- vanilla bean powder - 1 tsp, or paste
- baking powder - 1 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- Add the walnuts (85g) to the bowl. Chop Closed Lid / Turbo / 1-2 x 1 second blasts until roughly chopped and set aside.
- Add the butter (20g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / 90C / Speed 4.
- Add the sweetener (55g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add the quinoa flakes (50g), salt (pinch), cinnamon (1 tsp) and chopped nuts to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- If you need to make your own almond meal, add almonds (150g) and grind Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, add the butter (50g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / 90C / Speed 4.
- Add the sweetener (85g) and egg (1) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Add the almond meal (150g), arrowroot (2 Tbsp), coconut (20g), vanilla (1 tsp) and baking powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and scrape half of the thick batter into the tin.
- Top with approximately half of the streusel mix. Use damp hands to spread the sticky mixture across, then place the rest of the batter on top and finish with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Watch during cooking as with top heating ovens you may need to cover with foil if the top is growing too fast.