Grain Free Sandwich Loaf
Our friends who are grain free or gluten free need not miss out on sandwiches with this yummy loaf. Soft and flexible, we love having this loaf warm, but it also works well when cool. It actually stays flexible... hooray!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Finally a grain free bread that is soft enough to use as a sandwich and makes beautiful toast. Quick and easy with not too many ingredients. Love it." - Naomi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 1 hour 15 minutes, including rising time
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Makes 1 loaf
Can be frozen
- water - 180g
- yeast - 2 tsp, instant
- xylitol - 15g, or sugar
- besan / chickpea flour - 170g
- tapioca starch - 110g
- xanthan gum - 2 tsp
- salt flakes - 1.5 tsp
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- eggs - 3
- olive oil - 40g
- apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp
- Add water (180g), yeast (2 tsp) and xylitol / sugar (15g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add besan (170g), tapioca (110g), xanthan gum (2 tsp), salt flakes (1.5 tsp), baking powder (1/2 tsp), eggs (3), oil (40g) and apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 15 seconds.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Pour mixture into loaf tin and allow to sit for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C and allow tin to sit on or next to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the loaf tin and cover with aluminium foil. Return to the oven for a further 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove aluminium foil and allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.