Grain Free Doughnuts
We love to do a bit of experimenting on The 4 Blades blog, and here was a favourite from 2016! Not only did we create a grain free doughnut, but we also tried and tested them both baked AND fried. Both options are available for you below!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Easy grain free sweet treat option. Great for guilt free morning tea or party." - Naomi
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes + rising time
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Makes 12 doughnuts
Can be frozen
- almonds - 40g
- almond milk - 80g, (or your preferred milk)
- yeast - 1 Tbsp, dry
- sugar - 60g, or xylitol
- besan / chickpea flour - 130g
- tapioca starch - 120g
- olive oil - 60g
- eggs - 3
- baking powder - 1 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- xanthan gum - 1/4 tsp
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- oil - optional, for frying
- Cinnamon sugar:
- sugar - 50g, or xylitol
- cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Add the almonds (40g) to the bowl. Grind Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the almond milk (80g), yeast (1 Tbsp) and sugar (60g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add the reserved almond meal, besan (130g), tapioca (120g), oil (60g), eggs (3), baking powder (1 tsp), vanilla (1 tsp), xanthan (1/4 tsp) and vinegar (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Set aside and allow to rise for 1-2 hours, if possible.
- Add the sugar (50g) and cinnamon (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 10 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease doughnut rings tray. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar into the tray before adding any batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the doughnut rings so that each hole is half full. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked through. Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.
- Slowly bring a saucepan full of oil to a moderate heat of 175-180C. It should not be smoking.
- Using two metal spoons, drop mixture into the oil and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Coat in cinnamon sugar before serving.