Gozleme with Spinach & Feta
Gozleme is a traditional Turkish flat bread / pastry that can be filled with a variety of different things like spinach, feta or mince. This version, filled with yummy spinach and feta, has been shared with us by Caroline from Healthy Home Cafe. You can cook them in a pan, but they are even more delicious cooked on a barbecue! If you have some leftover filling you can easily wrap it up in some puff pastry to make some extra pastizzis! This is a very portable dish that doesn't even require a container (although this would be advisable if you want to retain it's beautiful appearance!) Simply wrap in foil and reheat as needed.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A delicious light lunch, or can be prepared and then warmed in the oven for a no fuss dinner." - Prue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 50 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- milk - 100g
- egg - 1
- olive oil - 15g
- yoghurt - 75g, Greek
- yeast - 1 tsp
- plain flour - 200g, wholemeal
- plain flour - 100g
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- fresh mint - small bunch, (or dill), leaves only
- onion - 1, brown, large, quartered
- olive oil - 15g, plus extra for frying
- rainbow chard - 1 bunch, , silverbeet, English spinach or mixture of greens of your choice, washed and roughly chopped
- feta cheese - 200g (block variety)
- Combine milk (100g), egg (1), oil (15g), yoghurt (75g) and yeast (1 tsp) in the bowl. Blend Speed 6 / 4 seconds.
- Program 3 minutes / 50C / Speed 2.
- Add wholemeal flour (200g), white flour (100g), baking powder (1/2 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp). Program Closed Lid / 2 minutes / Kneading Function. Add more warm milk if dough does not come together easily.
- Turn onto floured silicon mat, wrap and allow to prove for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, leave to prove in a lightly oiled bowl covered with a tea towel or cling film.
- Add mint (small bunch) to the clean dry bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 6 seconds, or until finely chopped. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the onion (1) and only half of the bunch of roughly chopped greens. Chop Speed 5 / 10 seconds, using your machine's spatula to assist. Chop longer if required.
- Add oil (15g) and program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Add the remaining half bunch of roughly chopped greens. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Transfer mixture to your internal steaming basket or sieve and use the back of the spatula to drain as much liquid as possible. Leave to cool.
- Divide dough into 8 even sized balls and on a lightly floured board or bench, roll out dough balls into thin circles (approx 16 cm in diameter).
- Return drained greens to the bowl with crumbled feta cheese (200g). Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Continue if it requires further processing.
- Divide the mix into 8 and spoon one portion onto half of each of the dough circles, then sprinkle with approx. 1 teaspoon of the chopped mint.
- Fold each over to make a half moon shape and seal edges.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add a little olive oil and one or two gozleme (depending on the size of your pan)
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on either side, until browned. If you have a lid, put it on to speed up the cooking process. Flip over and cook the other side.
- Remove onto a baking tray and if eating straight away, keep warm in a warm oven while cooking the rest.
- Otherwise cool and store in the fridge until needed. Reheat in moderate oven for 15 minutes or microwave oven for 1 minute.