Gourmet Moroccan Salad with Pomegranate
We have created a new favourite in The 4 Blades kitchen! This delightful Moroccan salad is packed full of flavour and texture. We featured it in Episode 128 of the podcast: Perfect Pomegranate Salad Recipes with Your Thermomix. Listen in to this episode to hear about how we like to deseed a pomegranate. We think you’re going to love this salad… we sure do!
If you don’t want to make the big delicious textured salad (although we absolutely suggest you do!), you can also use the recipe to make roasted chickpea snacks or a beautiful dressing that would go well with most salads. To make the roasted chickpea snacks, use 3 tins of chickpeas instead of one, and lay the chickpeas over the two baking trays before baking for 30-45 minutes or until crispy. They will dry further once cool.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Looks pretty and appetising. Surprisingly light and tasty! Well dressed but not drowned." - Jan
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30-45 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
Cannot be frozen
- pepitas - 1/4 cup
- paprika - 2 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- garlic granules - 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp, optional
- salt flakes - 2 tsp
- chickpeas - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- sweet potato - 500g, diced in 1-2cm cubes
- olive oil - 20g
- spinach - rocket leaves, to fill your salad bowl
- pomegranate - 1, arils only
- tahini paste - 50g
- lemon juice - 25g
- salt flakes - 1.5 tsp
- apple juice - 30g
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Dry toast the pepitas (1/4 cup) in a frying pan on the stove. Stir continuously and then set aside to cool.
- Add the paprika (2 tsp), ground cumin (1 tsp), garlic granules (1 tsp), cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp), salt flakes (2 tsp), rinsed chickpeas (400g tin), cubed sweet potato (500g) and olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- Spread this mixture out in a single layer onto the prepared trays.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If required, switch the trays around and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the tahini paste (50g), lemon juice (25g), salt flakes (1.5 tsp) and apple juice (30g) to the unwashed bowl. Process Speed 10 / 5 seconds.
- Set dressing aside in the fridge.
- Fill a salad bowl with a combination of spinach / rocket leaves, then layer the roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes on top.
- Cut the pomegranate (1) in half horizontally along its equator (i.e. don’t cut through the spiky bit at the top, cut the opposite way along the middle). Spread your fingers and lay the cut side of the pomegranate on your fingers. Have a bowl in front of you and, with a wooden spoon, bash the arils from the pomegranate into the bowl. You need to bash hard, and you may need to manually remove some. Take out any pieces of pith that fall into the bowl. Do this for the other side too.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing and top with toasted pepitas and pomegranate arils.
Make your own!
* Make your own tahini paste with the Tahini Paste recipe from The Tea Party Issue.