Gourmet Hot Dogs
Sausages are a staple in many households, and Shanai from Kids Eat by Shanai shows us just how we can give them the WOW factor! These aren't your average hot dogs!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “What a great way to spice up a hot dog – it's so easy to have the tomato sauce and pickled carrots in the fridge and ready to go." - Shannon
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- sausages - 6
- buns - 6, hot dog
- avocado - 1, stone removed and diced
- Tomato sauce:
- cherry tomatoes - 500g, roughly chopped
- garlic clove - 1, peeled and roughly chopped
- carrot - 1, roughly chopped
- celery - 1 stalk, roughly chopped
- onion - 1/2, brown, peeled and roughly chopped
- zucchini - 1/2, small, roughly chopped
- olive oil - 20g
- tomato paste - 50g
- dried thyme - 1 tsp
- water - 125g
- Pickled carrots:
- malt vinegar - 100g
- white vinegar - 100g
- sugar - 130g
- dried coriander - 1/2 tsp, seeds
- peppercorns - 1/2 tsp, whole
- carrot - 4, grated
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes (500g), peeled and chopped garlic clove (1), chopped carrot (1), chopped celery stalk (1), peeled and chopped onion (1/2), chopped zucchini (1/2), olive oil (20g), tomato paste (50g), dried thyme (1 tsp), salt and pepper to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Add water (125g) to the bowl. Scrape down sides, then program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap off. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the malt vinegar (100g), white vinegar (100g), sugar (130g), coriander seeds (1/2 tsp) and whole peppercorns (1/2 tsp). Bring to a simmer, stirring as the sugar dissolves.
- Add the grated carrots (4) to a mixing bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots, then allow to cool slightly before placing in the fridge to cool further.
- When ready to serve, strain off any excess liquid.
- BBQ or pan fry the sausages (6).
- Fill each bun (6 total) with a sausage, some diced avocado (1), pickled carrots and sauce.
Make your own!
*Make your own buns with the Multiseed Bread Rolls recipe from The Freezer Issue, the Bread Rolls recipe from The On the Road Issue, the LCHF Bread Rolls (GF) recipe from The Packed Lunch Issue or the Honey Buns recipe from The Readers Issue.