Goulash with Pasta
Goulash is a crowd pleaser. This super comforting beef casserole originates from Hungary and has existed since the 9th century. The dish is served with pasta, but can simply be served with bread to dip. It is ideal for freezing and batch cooking. Make a double batch if you are having a crowd over for dinner. By preparing it a day in advance, the flavours will develop. It reheats well.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Great flavour and will definitely be a new winter favourite in our household! Very family friendly, could easily sneak in some extra veggies and is the perfect set and forget recipe!" - Christina
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onions - 2, peeled and quartered
- olive oil - 30g
- stewing beef - 500g, diced
- sugar - 1 tsp
- tomato paste - 70g
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- tomatoes - 2 medium, chopped into quarters
- red wine - 200g
- paprika - 20g
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano - 1 Tbsp
- bay leaves - 2
- cloves - 1 pinch, ground
- capsicum - 2, chopped into small chunks
- pasta - 250g (*can use GF)
- Place the garlic cloves (2) and onions (2) in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Pour in the olive oil (30g). Program 10 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Put the diced beef (500g) in the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 120C* / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the sugar (1 tsp), tomato paste (70g), tinned tomatoes (400g), tomatoes (2), red wine (200g), paprika (20g), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp), oregano (1 Tbsp), bay leaves (2) and ground cloves (pinch) to the bowl. Cook 1 hour / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the capsicum (2) and cook again 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta (250g) according to packet instructions and drain in a colander.
- Serve the goulash while hot with the pasta or freeze in batches. You may wish to remove the bay leaves when serving.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.