Gluten Free Crusty French Bread
Craving a crusty French-style bread without the gluten? Here is a great option, shared with us by Lesley Collins from Me and My Thermie. This version never lasts long at her house!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These French sticks are so good you can barely tell they are gluten free! Easy to make, you won’t be disappointed with the results." - Kylie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Makes 2 loaves
Can be frozen
- white rice - 90g
- brown rice - 80g
- buckwheat kernels - 20g, or groats (can also use millet, chickpeas, besan flour or extra rice)
- tapioca starch - 90g
- potato starch - 20g, or cornflour, plus extra for dusting
- salt - 1 tsp
- rapadura sugar - 1.5 tsp, or preferred granulated sweetener, optional
- xanthan gum - 2.5 tsp
- yeast - 2 tsp, dried
- apple cider vinegar - 1 tsp
- eggs - 2, whites
- water - 280g, warm
- Add the white rice (90g), brown rice (80g) and buckwheat groats (20g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 9.
- Add tapioca (90g), potato starch (20g), salt (1 tsp), rapadura (1.5 tsp), xanthan gum (2.5 tsp) and yeast (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Add vinegar (1 tsp), egg whites (2) and water (280g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Give it a quick manual mix with the spatula, then program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function. It should be a fairly stiff batter, due to the addition of xanthan gum. The consistency of a thick cake batter
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Line either a French bread tin (preferred option) or a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spoon into two separate lots into your prepared tin or tray, cover your hands with some cornflour, then shape each blob of batter into two French sticks.
- Wash your hands, shake them, then smooth out the tops of the bread dough / batter with your wet hands.
- Leave to rise for 15 minutes or so.
- Before baking, score the tops of the dough / batter 3 or 4 times.
- Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour at 200C or 190C fan-forced, until a good golden crust has developed. The inside should be lovely and soft.