Gluten Free Crumpets with Maple Butter
Homemade crumpets are so much better than store-bought – and these are gluten free, to boot! No one will believe you made them! Team them up with this delicious maple butter for an indulgent brunch treat. Freeze any additional butter for another day – it goes great on pancakes, waffles and even grilled corn or popcorn for a savoury twist!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “We enjoyed these for an after school treat, and everyone agreed that they were much nicer than store-bought ones. The 8 year old exclaimed, 'You really are very good at cooking nice food, Mum!'" - Anita
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 7 minutes + 1 hour 30 minutes rising time
Cooking Time 5 minutes per batch
Makes 9 crumpets
Can be frozen
You will need:
2 small bowls
whisk or fork
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- yeast - 2 tsp, dried
- water - 280g, warm
- plain flour - 200g, GF, must be a store-bought GF blend
- salt - pinch
- rice milk - 120g, must be a store-bought variety
- bicarb soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maple butter:
- butter - 100g, softened, unsalted
- maple syrup - 30g
- vanilla bean paste - 1/2 tsp
- mixed spice - 1/2 tsp, ground
- Add the sugar (1/2 tsp), dried yeast (2 tsp) and warm water (40g only) to a small bowl. Stir and allow to activate.
- Add the GF plain flour (200g) and salt (pinch) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 0.5 second blasts.
- Add the rice milk (120g) and water (120g only) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 3 minutes / 50C / Speed 2, and stop when the mixture reaches 50C and the temperature light stops flashing.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, cover in clingfilm and leave for 1 hour. You may wish to make the Maple Butter at this point.
- After 1 hour, add warm water (120g) and bicarb soda (1/4 tsp) to the mixing bowl. Combine with a whisk or fork. Leave for another 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and egg rings.
- Heat the frying pan on a low heat and place the egg rings on the pan.
- Fill each egg ring (about 4 dessertspoons each) with batter. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Flip each crumpet over and leave for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing egg rings between each batch.
- Wash and dry bowl well.
- Add the softened butter (100g), maple syrup (30g), vanilla bean paste (1/2 tsp) and ground mixed spice (1/2 tsp) to mixer bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Mix on Speed 4 until the mixture is lighter and fluffier in texture.
- Spoon the butter into a bowl and place it into the fridge whilst cooking the crumpets.
- Serve warm crumpets with maple butter.