Gluten Free Cherry Almond Cake
A delicious gluten free cake, shared with us by Sophia Handschuh from Thermomix Baking Blogger. This recipe comes from her book "Gluten Free Cakes and Bakes." You don't have to panic about what to make when a gluten free friend visits! This cake ticks all the boxes and can be served warm or cold.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Having never made a GF cake before, I was curious as to how the texture and flavour would be. I was very pleasantly surprised! We loved both the texture and the taste, and found it rich enough that only a small piece was needed so we could go back later for seconds." - Sue
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 50-60 minutes
Can be frozen
- almonds - 150g, ground
- plain flour - 200g, GF
- coconut sugar - 200g, or golden caster sugar
- baking powder - 1 Tbsp, GF
- coconut oil - 120g
- almond milk - 200g
- almond essence - 1 tsp, optional
- white wine vinegar - 20g
- glacé cherries - 200g, halved
- icing sugar - to dust, golden
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 20cm round springform cake pan with baking paper.
- If you need to grind your almonds, add almonds (150g) to the bowl and grind Speed 8 / 10 seconds.
- To the ground almonds (150g), add the GF plain flour (200g), coconut sugar (200g), GF baking powder (1 Tbsp), coconut oil (120g), almond milk (200g), almond extract (1 tsp, if using) and white wine vinegar (20g) into the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and top with the halved glacé cherries (200g). Leave them close to the top, letting them drop during cooking.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dust with golden icing sugar and serve.