Who doesn't love gingerbread people? You can decorate these as simply or as intricately as you like. You can use the icing recipe from our Shortbread Tree recipe to ice these.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Love these! Have made many batches!" - Jess
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes 20-30 biscuits
Can be frozen
- butter - 130g, cubed
- brown sugar - 90g
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- egg - 1
- golden syrup - 110g
- plain flour - 370g, plus extra for dusting
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- mixed spice - 1 tsp
- ginger - 1/2 tsp, ground
- icing - 1 batch, from the Shortbread Tree
- chocolate - green and red mini
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter (130g), brown sugar (90g) and vanilla (1 tsp) into bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Add egg (1) to bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add golden syrup (110g), plain flour (370g), bicarb soda (1 tsp), mixed spice (1 tsp) and ginger (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 40 seconds.
- Place dough onto a floured bench and knead a little flour into the dough by hand until your dough is slightly more firm and can be rolled.
- Flour your rolling pin lightly and roll until your dough is approximately 4mm high. The thicker the dough, the easier it is to cut shapes out.
- Using a person shaped cutter, cut shapes from dough and place onto the baking trays.
- Leave room between each person on each baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Do not overcook or they will become hard.
- Allow to cool slightly on the baking trays then move to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Use the icing as glue and "glue" the chocolates onto the person's tummy to form buttons.
- Store in an airtight container. These may soften slightly the next day.