Chinese takeaway might be tasty from time to time, but when money is tight it's not a good option. This fried rice goes much further than what you could fit into a tiny takeaway container, and is full of much better ingredients too. You can use any veggies you like to bulk it out even further. If you are buying all the ingredients for this recipe, consider buying the peas and corn in a frozen combo pack to save buying two separate packages. One of the great things about this recipe is that you will have enough to make a second batch just by purchasing some more bacon, as the quantities you purchase will be more than you need. So put it on this week's meal plan, and then make it again next week!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 26 minutes
Can be frozen but best served fresh or reheated
- rice - 400g, white, long grain
- oyster sauce - 70g (*check for GF if required)
- salt - 50g, reduced soy sauce, (*or tamari or coconut aminos for GF)
- pepper - cracked, to taste
- water - 900g, hot
- eggs - 3 (*can omit if required)
- bacon - 3, rashers, fat and rind removed and diced
- peas - 100g, frozen
- corn - 100g, kernels
- spring onions - 2, sliced
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Place rice (400g) into the internal steaming basket. Rinse well under running water to remove some of the starch. Put into place in the bowl.
- Mix oyster sauce (40g only), soy sauce (40g only), cracked pepper (to taste) and hot water (900g). Pour over the rice into the bowl.
- Get a square piece of baking paper and scrunch up under running water. Smooth out and place into the steaming attachment bottom dish ensuring it comes up the sides slightly.
- Crack eggs (2) into a small bowl and whisk lightly with a fork. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour onto the baking paper. Put steaming attachment in place.
- On the steaming attachment upper tray, place the bacon (3 rashers), peas (100g) and corn (100g).
- Program 22 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Once cooked, remove the steaming attachment and internal rice basket. Place the egg onto a chopping board and dice. Discard the paper.
- Place the steaming attachment dish on top of the lid. Add rice to the dish. Drizzle over soy sauce (30g) and oyster sauce (10g). Mix to combine with a large spoon.
- Add the egg, veggies and bacon to the rice and combine well.
- Sprinkle with sliced spring onions (2) and serve.