Fried Calamari and Lemon Mayonnaise
An easy yet impressive entree or main to whip up when holidaying by the sea, where seafood is at its freshest and tastiest! Sit back, watch the waves roll in and enjoy this delicious dish.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These delicious calamari rings are quick and easy to prepare, and restaurant quality too." - Kristen
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Calamari can be frozen before or after cooking
- eggs - 3, lightly beaten
- oil - for shallow frying
- calamari - 24 large, cleaned, rings (with the internal membrane removed if it hasn't been already)
- Flour mix:
- plain flour - 120g (*can use GF if required)
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked
- Breadcrumb mix:
- bread - 4 slices, day old (*can use GF if required)
- lemon - 1 strip, peel
- fresh parsley - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- Lemon mayonnaise:
- mayonnaise - 200g, thick whole egg
- lemon - 2 tsp, zest
- lemon juice - 20g, fresh
- Add the eggs (3) to a small bowl. Beat lightly. Set aside.
- Add the plain flour (120g), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp) to a second small bowl. Mix gently. Set aside.
- Add the bread (4 slices), lemon peel (1 strip), fresh parsley (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 6 seconds. Set aside in a third small bowl.
- Place a 2cm layer of oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Once hot, coat a cleaned calamari ring (24 total) in the flour mixture, followed by egg and then the crumb mixture. Repeat until you have six rings prepared.
- Place the rings gently into the frying pan. Cook for 1:30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Repeat for all calamari rings.
- Add the mayonnaise (200g), lemon zest (2 tsp) and lemon juice (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Serve hot calamari rings with mayonnaise immediately.
Make your own!
* Make your own mayonnaise with the Mayonnaise recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue.