French Toast with Lemon Mascarpone
This decadent café favourite from Tenina is the perfect weekend indulgence. Cutting into this thick fruity French toast is just the best! With the Lemon Marscapone and fresh berries? Even better!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This made HEAPS. We don't really like things too sweet, so we halved the sugar in the mixture and in the marscapone and it was just right for us. We loved the marscapone!" - Dave
No: Gluten (depending on bread choice) / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30-60 minutes
Cooking Time 20-30 minutes
Serves 4-6 people
Cannot be frozen
- bread - 1 loaf, fruit bread of choice (try the Gluten Free Raisin Bread or the Fruit and Crio Bru bread from this issue!)
- eggs - 6
- vanilla bean paste - 2 Tbsp
- cream - generous splash
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- icing sugar - 4 stp
- butter - for frying as needed
- berries of choice - fresh, to serve
- maple syrup - to serve
- Lemon mascarpone
- mascarpone cheese - 250g
- lemon - 1, zest finely grated, plus a little juice
- icing sugar - 3 Tbsp
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- To make Lemon Mascarpone, place mascarpone (250g), lemon zest (from one lemon), a little lemon juice, icing sugar (3 Tbsp) and vanilla (1 tsp) into a small bowl and whisk together, you cannot use your Thermo Mixer for this process as it will deflate the mascarpone and it will lose it's beautiful texture. Refrigerate
- Cut the loaf into 6cm thick slices and allow to air dry until stale.
- Place the eggs (6), vanilla (2 Tbsp), cream (generous splash), cinnamon (1 tsp) and icing sugar (4 tsp) into bowl and blend Speed 8 / 10 seconds or until well combined and airy.
- Pour into a flat container that will fit one slice of bread into it easily.
- Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Dip the first slice of bread into the egg mixture, soaking it well and turning it over to soak the other side.
- Drain it slightly, and fry in the melted butter until golden and fragrant. Turn over and repeat.
- You can keep the French toast hot in an oven set to 100C while you repeat with all the slices.
- Serve hot with the fresh berries, Lemon Mascarpone and dusted with icing sugar or drizzled with pure maple syrup.