French Onion Soup
If you are craving a true savoury meal you should give this French onion soup a go. It's a classic soup that has been around for many centuries, and it balances sweet and savoury perfectly. This is the traditional version, with melted cheese baguette served on top of the soup. It is set to be this winter's favourite!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Une soupe facile à faire, un résultat très satisfaisant. (Easy soup to make, a very satisfactory result.)" - Jeroen from Belgium
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Cannot be frozen
- Gruyère cheese - 100g
- onions - 500g, peeled and halved
- butter - 50g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black
- plain flour - 10g (*can use GF)
- fresh thyme - 8 sprigs, stalks removed
- bay leaves - 2
- white wine - 250g, dry (e.g. sauvignon blanc), or alcoholic cider for a sweeter more traditional option
- water - 500g
- beef stock - 1 cube (*ensure GF if required)
- brandy - 45g
- apple cider vinegar - 10g
- baguette - 1, small, cut into 4 slices (*can use GF bread)
- garlic clove - 1, peeled and halved
- fresh chives - 10g
- Place the Gruyère cheese (100g) in the bowl. Grate Speed 7 / 6 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and leave aside until later.
- Place the onions (500g), butter (50g), salt (1/2 tsp) and black pepper (1/2 tsp) in the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Cook 35 minutes / 120C* / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap off. Scrape down sides.
- Add the plain flour (10g), thyme leaves (from 8 sprigs) and bay leaves (2) to the bowl. Combine 1 minute / 120C* / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the white wine (250g), water (500g), beef stock cube (1), brandy (45g) and apple cider vinegar (10g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Meanwhile heat the oven grill to high or the oven to highest heat.
- Toast the baguette slices (4) in the oven until golden brown, then remove. Rub the baguette slices with the halves of garlic (1).
- To serve, place the onion soup in 2 ramekins or ovenproof dishes. Remove bay leaves if possible.
- Top with the 2 baguette slices in each bowl, then sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Carefully transfer the ramekins to a baking tray and put them under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Using the oven mit, carefully remove the tray from the grill and serve piping hot scattered with some freshly chopped chives (10g).
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.