‘Free From Lots’ Crackers
Looking for a delicious grainfree alternative for your standard party crackers and dip? This is a great option. These have been shared with us by Alexx Stuart. Perfectly paired with the Paleo Hummus dip to keep the paleo party funsters satisfied. This recipe also makes a great tartlet base. We used it for the Pumpkin Sage Tartlets.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Happy husband with these tasty morsels. Homemade dips, here we come! I have made similar crackers before that are too soft, too crunchy or taste like cardboard... this recipe is none of those, they're perfect!" - Sally-Ann
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 15-25 minutes, depending on oven
Makes the equivalent to a pack of crackers
Can be frozen
- egg - 1, *for EF use 1 Tbsp chia seeds, see Step 2
- coconut oil - 30g (or butter)
- hemp seeds - 40g, or increase the sunflower kernels and pepitas by 20g each
- sunflower seeds - 60g
- pepitas - 80g
- garlic cloves - 2
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp (or more to taste)
- dried fennel - 1/2 tsp, seeds
- fresh thyme - 3 stalks, leaves only
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- If making the crackers egg-free, add chia seeds (1 Tbsp) to the bowl and grind Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with water (3 Tbsp). Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add egg (1), coconut oil (30g), hemp seeds (40g), sunflower seeds (60g), pumpkin seeds (80g), garlic (2), sea salt (1/2 tsp), fennel seeds (1/2 tsp) and thyme (3) to the bowl.
- Combine Speed 6 / 15 seconds. If you can hear that the blades are spinning without chopping, stop, scrape down sides and continue.
- Place it in a heap on a sheet of baking paper that has had olive oil rubbed on it and cover with another sheet rubbed with olive oil – this will stop the dough sticking to either as you roll it out.
- Roll it out to a thin, cracker thickness. You may wish to sprinkle with some sea salt first for the ‘salted cracker’ taste.
- Remove the top layer of baking paper.
- Transfer the rolled out dough on the baking paper to a baking tray.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, mark out the squares you want to make, or you can use cookie cutter shapes if you prefer!
- Bake for around 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them so as not to get burnt edges. You may wish to remove all the outside bordering crackers, and pop back in for a couple more minutes to ensure the middle ones cook sufficiently.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Break up and store in an airtight container until required.