Frankfurt Style Green Sauce
Green Sauce is a traditional dish known to the region of Frankfurt in Germany. It is made around Easter time when all the lovely Easter eggs are dyed and decorated around the house. Traditionally after the Easter egg hunt, all the eggs are used to make this wonderful savoury sauce that is served with smoked trout and boiled potatoes. It is a very special treat for the whole family and freezes so well in batches.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious! Love exposure to other traditions and would never have made this normally. Glad I did!" - Mandi
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen
- water - 500g
- eggs - 4
- gherkins - 25g
- fresh parsley - 30g
- salad cress - 15g
- fresh chives - 40g
- sour cream - 450g
- yoghurt - 100g, Greek
- double cream - 20g
- mustard - 10g, American
- apple cider vinegar - 10g
- olive oil - 5g
- salt - 1 pinch
- pepper - 1 pinch
- Fill the mixing bowl with water (500g). Insert the internal steaming basket and place the eggs (4) inside. Boil 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Stirring Speed.
- Remove the internal steaming basket with the spatula and hold under cold water for 10 seconds. Leave the eggs to cool down entirely.
- Once cool, peel the eggs and place in the mixer bowl. Blitz Speed 4 / 1 second. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place the gherkins (25g) in the mixing bowl. Blitz Speed 4 / 1 second. Transfer into the bowl with the eggs.
- Put parsley (30g), salad cress (15g) and chives (40g) in the mixing bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 4 seconds. Remove and place in the bowl with the eggs and gherkins.
- Add the sour cream (450g), Greek yoghurt (100g), double cream (20g), American mustard (10g), cider vinegar (10g), olive oil (5g), salt (1 pinch) and pepper (1 pinch) to the bowl. Combine Speed 3 / 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, gherkins and herbs and stir Reverse+Speed 2 / 40 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with boiled potatoes and trout, or on toast.