Fragrant Saffron Pilaf
This works so well as a fantastic gluten free side dish to any meat or fish, or on its own as a great vegetarian option for lunch. It has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. The flavours blend beautifully, and the extra crunch of the roasted nuts works a treat.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “I really liked this. It appears quite simple, but the flavours work really well together and it makes a great side dish for fish or other meats. Would be good to take as a side dish for a BBQ or lunch." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves 4, or 6-8 as a side dish
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- rice - 400g, long grain
- water - 750g
- saffron - 1 tsp, threads
- water - boiling, to steep saffron
- almonds - 200g, blanched
- pistachios - 50g, shelled
- cashew nuts - 50g
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- eschallots - 2, or shallots, peeled
- olive oil - 20g, extra virgin, plus extra for rice
- currants - 100g
- cranberries - 100g, dried
- salt flakes - pink, to taste
- pepper - cracked black, to taste
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves
- fresh parsley - handful, Italian, leaves
- Place the long grain rice (400g) into the internal steaming basket. Set the basket in place. Pour water (750g) over the top of the rice. Program 14 minutes / 100C / Speed 4.
- Meanwhile, soak the saffron threads (1 tsp) in enough boiling water to just cover them.
- Once the rice has finished cooking, pour the water and saffron on top of the steamed rice and stir through. It is not important for this to be even. It looks pretty if some of the rice picks up the colour, as opposed to all of it.
- Douse the rice in plenty of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside to cool.
- Slow roast the blanched almonds (200g). Place them on a tray into an oven set to 160C for approximately 20 minutes. They should be a dark golden brown, shiny and crunchy.
- Add the shelled pistachios (50g) and cashews (50g) to the tray with the almonds and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the peeled garlic cloves (2), peeled shallots (2) and extra virgin olive oil (20g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add the cooked rice, currants (100g), dried cranberries (100g), pink salt flakes and cracked black pepper to the bowl. Toss all the ingredients together, adding more oil as required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves (handful) and fresh parsley leaves (handful). Serve warm or cold.