Flourless Citrus Chocolate Cake Thermomix Conversion (Thanks Nigella!)
Bec first came across this recipe when her sister-in-law made it for a family get together. It was love at first bite. While Bec avoids dairy, she tolerates pure butter OK so this cake is Bec-friendly if dairy / soy free chocolate is used. That’s why we used the Lindt 85% dark chocolate. It has become one of Bec’s favourite chocolate cake Thermomix recipes.
In fact, she loves it so much that it was featured in Episode 53 of the podcast – Bec’s Best Birthday Thermomix Cake Recipes.
The original recipe is called ‘Chocolate Lime Cake’, but after a lot of testing to get this conversion just right for you, we know that you can get creative and use any kind of citrus. Using half an orange is just delicious for those Jaffa-lovers out there!
This chocolate cake has a tendency to burn on top (and it will very likely crack by the end of cooking) so be sure to follow the steps listed in the recipe to minimise the chance of this.
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 2 hours
- lime - 1, or alternatively use half an orange or a small lemon
- almonds - 100g
- chocolate - 150g, dark, we used Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate
- butter - 150g, unsalted
- sugar - 250g, raw
- eggs - 6
- cacao powder - 15g
- Peel the zest off the lime (or lemon, or half an orange). Put in TM bowl. Speed 7 / 20 seconds. Push down sides.
- Add 100g almonds. Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Set aside in separate bowl.
- Grind 150g dark chocolate. Speed 7 / 7 seconds.
- Add 150g butter. 4 mins / 50 degrees / Speed 2-3. Stop to push sides down with 1 minute to go. Set chocolate mixture aside in separate bowl.
- Clean / dry TM bowl. Add 250g sugar. Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Add butterfly. Add 6 eggs. 37 deg / 10 minutes / Speed 4.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Prepare round springform cake tin (approx 23cm diameter).
- Remove butterfly. Add almond mixture, chocolate mixture, 15g cacao & juice of your citrus choice (lime, lemon or half an orange).Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Push down sides. Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Put into prepared springform tin, cover in alfoil, put in the oven for 10 mins.
- Take alfoil off, continue cooking for 30 minutes. Check with a skewer. Turn off oven and allow to sit for 10 mins. Take out of the oven and allow to cool covered with alfoil, up to 1 hour. Serve upside down with sprinkled icing sugar over the top.
We hope you love this Flourless Citrus Chocolate Cake Thermomix Conversion, and it’s a favourite in your house for years to come!