So here is the basic premise of this recipe from The 4 Blades blog: you steam up some jacket potatoes, you squish them, you let them get crispy in the oven, you cover them with herbed cheese, you let the cheese melt and go crispy... and then you devour them. Pretty good, right?
We had so much fun creating these yummy Fiddle-de-dee Potatoes for Episode 98 of the podcast: St Patrick’s Day Thermomix recipes. The best thing though? They are so delicious all year round, not just for St Patrick’s Day! Not just delicious, but “deliciously fun”, as we described them in the podcast.
What is also quite cool is that you can steam the potatoes and make the cheese ahead of time and have them waiting in the fridge so that all you need to do is preheat the oven and get cooking! If you decide to do it this way, your potatoes may need a little longer on their first trip into the oven. Feel free to mix them up a little bit and mix in your preferred additions to the cheese. Perhaps you like a bit of heat… add in some chilli. Switch the herbs, sprinkle with a little ham or bacon… the opportunities are endless!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The Fiddle-De-Dee Potatoes were served to my husband, son and mother who all said 'Yum!' Tasty, extremely filling and definitely will be made again." - Christine
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 55 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- potato - 6, medium, jacket
- water - 800g, hot
- butter - 6 tsp, salted
- Green cheese:
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- spring onion - 1, roughly chopped
- fresh parsley - handful
- fresh basil - handful
- cheese - 150g, in cubes
- Put the potatoes (6) into the lower dish of your steaming attachment. Add hot water (800g) to the bowl. Program 35 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Once the potatoes have finished, set them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, empty the water from the bowl and preheat the oven to 220C.
- After about 10 minutes of cooling, use the back of a plate or potato masher to press down on the potatoes, giving them a good squish.
- Repeat for all of the potatoes.
- Dollop approx. 1 tsp of salted butter on top of each squished potato (6 tsp total) and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are crisping up, add the garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the spring onion (1), parsley (handful), basil (handful) and cheese (150g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- After 10 minutes of cooking the potatoes, remove the tray from the oven and sprinkle the potatoes with the green cheese mixture so that all the cheese has been used and the potatoes are covered evenly. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and serve by sliding an egg flip under each fiddle-de-dee potato and placing onto a plate. Enjoy!