Feta & Walnut Meatballs
These delicious meatballs have been shared with us by Gabrielle from Kitch'n Thyme. They are easily enjoyed as a one handed lunch for the perfect protein hit, but they also make the perfect weeknight meal. Gabrielle has created this recipe using organic ingredients where possible.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yum, yum, yum!!! Loved the addition of the walnuts! Really great texture and really lovely flavour. Even fussy toddler ate them!" - Christina
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Makes 30 meatballs
Can be frozen
- onion - 1 large, red
- garlic clove - 1
- fresh parsley - 4 sprigs, Italian, chopped finely
- olive oil - 4 Tbsp
- zucchini - 2, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- carrots - 2, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- walnuts - 100g
- beef mince - 500g
- feta cheese - 100g, crumbled into rough pieces
- dried Italian herbs - 1 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar - 2 tsp
- mustard - 2 tsp, Dijon
- tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- sea salt - 2 tsp
- breadcrumbs - 100g, panko (*or rice crumbs for GF)
- ghee - for shallow frying (or coconut oil)
- Quick pasta sauce:
- onion - 1, brown, halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- fresh basil - 2 sprigs
- fresh parsley - 4 sprigs, Italian
- fresh thyme - 2 sprigs
- olive oil - 50g
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, diced
- honey - 1 tsp
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- lemon - 1/2, zest only
- Place the onion (1), garlic (1), and parsley (4 sprigs) into the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5-7 seconds.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Place half the olive oil (2 Tbsp only) into the pan to heat a little.
- Scrape the onion mix into the pan and sauté until it starts to go golden brown and the moisture from the onions has cooked off.
- Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Leave the pan on the heat and add the remaining olive oil (2 Tbsp) to heat.
- Place the zucchini (2) and carrot (2) into the mixer bowl and chop Speed 4 / 10-15 seconds.
- Scrape into the pan and sauté until all the moisture has cooked off from the veggies. Add to the large mixing bowl with the onion mixture.
- Place the walnuts (100g) into the mixing bowl and chop Speed 4 / 10 seconds, or until roughly chopped and add to the large mixing bowl.
- Add beef mince (500g), feta (100g), Italian herbs (1 Tbsp), balsamic vinegar (2 tsp), Dijon mustard (2 tsp), tomato paste (2 Tbsp) and sea salt (2 tsp) to the large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Roll the mixture into tablespoon sized balls before rolling in the panko breadcrumbs. You may need to gently press the breadcrumbs into the meatballs so they stick sufficiently.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat with the ghee or oil, and cook in batches, turning frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown all over. Please be careful when turning the meatballs, they need to be handled with care. As an alternative option: briefly seal the meatballs and then cook in 180C oven until cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and serve with tomato pasta sauce, fresh zucchini or parsnip pasta or traditional spaghetti.
Quick pasta sauce:
- Place onion (1), garlic (2), basil (2 sprigs), Italian parsley (4 sprigs), thyme (2 sprigs) and olive oil (50g) into the mixer bowl and chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 7 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add the tomatoes (800g), honey (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and lemon zest (1/2) and cook 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Serve hot over the meatballs.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.