Fennel Spiced Lamb Cutlets
Lamb and fennel make such a great flavour combination, and when you add yummy crispy batter you really get some depth to these little bite-sized treats.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "If you want a twist of an Aussie classic, this is it! So yummy and packed full of flavour!" - Channy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes 8 lamb cutlets
Cannot be frozen
- lamb cutlets - 8
- cardamom - 10, pods
- cloves - 10
- cinnamon - 1, stick
- dried fennel - 2 tsp, seeds
- bay leaves - 2
- peppercorns - 1 tsp, black
- milk - 500g
- water - 200g
- plain flour - 250g (*can use GF)
- cornflour - 2 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- dried fennel - 2 tsp, seeds, roasted
- cardamom - 1 tsp, ground
- salt - 1 tsp
- chillies - 3, green, in large pieces
- eggs - 2, white only
- oil - 80g, for frying
- mango chutney - to serve, optional
- Place the lamb cutlets (8) in the internal steaming basket. Add the cardamom pods (10), cloves (10), cinnamon stick (1), fennel seeds (2 tsp), bay leaves (2), peppercorns (1 tsp), milk (500g) and water (200g) to the bowl. Insert the internal steaming basket in the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Pour the liquid in a medium mixing bowl and set the internal steaming basket aside. Leave to cool completely. Remove the lamb from the basket and set aside.
- To make the batter, place the flour (250g), cornflour (2 tsp), pepper (1 tsp), fennel seeds (2 tsp), ground cardamom (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and chillies (3) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Add the infused milk from Step 1 (150g) and egg whites (2). Combine Speed 3 / 30 seconds. While mixing, add in more milk if needed to make a consistency of double cream. Pour in a separate mixing bowl.
- Heat a frying pan with the oil (80g) until hot. Dip each lamb cutlet into the batter and fry on both sides until golden. Serve immediately with mango chutney.