- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Fast Grainfree Flat Breads
This flat bread is the flavour of the month in The 4 Blades kitchen. It is getting busted out for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Just a handful of ingredients, easy preparation and the end product is halfway between a pancake and a naan (and therefore, delicious). It’s stretchy and chewy. You could enjoy it as a pancake for breakfast, or dip in curry for dinner. Aside from the texture, the best thing is that it’s ready quickly. Unlike the naan breads (both standard and gluten free) featured in The Celebrations Issue, this bread doesn’t need to rise at all and can be ready pronto.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Very easy to make! We will use this for a more savoury brekkie pancake or as a great flat bread to have with a curry. Delicious, and we loved the fluffy texture. Can imagine sopping up juices from a pan fry or curry, yummy!" - Naomi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 15 minutes
Makes 3 flat breads
Can be frozen
- besan / chickpea flour - 70g, or whole chick peas
- potato starch - 90g
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- xanthan gum - pinch
- salt - pinch
- egg - 1
- soda water - 240g
- olive oil - butter or duck fat for cooking (*do not use butter for a DF option)
- Heat frypan with a thin layer of your preferred fat / oil over a medium heat. Salted butter is particularly delicious.
- If using whole chickpeas (70g), add to the bowl and grind 1 minute / Speed 10.
- If using besan, add besan (70g), potato starch (90g), baking powder (1 tsp), xanthan gum (pinch), salt (pinch), egg (1) and soda water (240g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 5 / 15 seconds.
- Pour batter directly into the middle of the heated oiled pan until it reaches the diameter of the pan.
- Allow it to cook in the oil. You will see the edges firming, and then the bread will puff and the top will also firm. When you see this occurring, you can then flip and allow to cook on the other side.
- Remove from heat and repeat until all mixture is cooked. You may need to add extra fat, or a sprinkle of salt if you like the saltiness.