Who would have thought these breakfast favourites could be so simple?! They do take some time but they certainly aren't difficult... and they are so worth it. Those that love making bread will love making these. This recipe will require some patience. You may need to make these a few times to get the perfect height and the right temperature of your pan.
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total preparation time 2.5 hours
Can be frozen
- milk - 160g
- water - 25g
- yeast - 2 tsp, dried
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- bakers flour - 360g
- egg - 1
- butter - 30g, melted
- salt - pinch
- semolina - 4 Tbsp, fine
- Place milk (160g) and water (25g) into bowl.
- Warm by programming 3 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add yeast (2 tsp) and sugar (1/2 tsp) to mixture.
- Mix on Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Allow to sit and become frothy.
- Add flour (360g), egg (1), butter (30g) and salt (a pinch).
- Set Closed Lid / 4 minutes / Kneading function.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise for an hour and a half.
- Roll dough out to 1cm high. Be sure your dough isn't too high otherwise your muffins won't cook through.
- Cut circles from the dough with a cookie cutter.
- Dip both sides of each circle in fine semolina.
- Leave for 30 minutes to rise just slightly.
- Place a large nonstick frying pan or oiled griddle pan over medium heat. Be sure not to have your pan too high or your muffins will not cook through and you'll burn your crust.
- Place 4 muffins into a pan and cook 6-8 minutes each side or until cooked through. This may require some experimenting as every pan and stove varies.
- Repeat for remaining dough circles.
- Slice in half and toast before serving.