- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
Egg Free Mayonnaise
Do you know what aquafaba is? It’s the liquid you get out of a can of chickpeas. The liquid you usually tip down the drain! This recipe is worth a shot, even for the sake of an experiment. Not only does it taste and look like "normal" mayonnaise, but because it doesn’t have raw egg, it’s a great option if you are pregnant or have food intolerances. Keep it in a sterilised jar in the fridge.
This recipe is also featured in Episode 97 of the podcast.
Recently we got into the kitchen for some experimenting, all about using aquafaba. It acts a lot like egg whites, so you are able to do all sorts of things with it that is hard to do without eggs. Our first experiment was to make an egg free mayonnaise in the Thermomix, using aquafaba. Wow. This is so quick and easy, you actually won’t believe it. The taste and consistency of the mayonnaise was just like standard mayonnaise. If you gave it to a friend without telling them, they would have no idea that it was actually egg free mayonnaise. It went well with coleslaw, however we did notice that it was a little more watery on the coleslaw after about 24 hours, in comparison with standard mayonnaise.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes
Makes approx. 1 cup
Cannot be frozen
- rice bran oil - 240g, macadamia or grapeseed oil
- aquafaba - 60g (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- mustard - 1/2 tsp, Dijon
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- Measure out oil (240g) into the jug.
- Add whisk attachment to the bowl.
- Add aquafaba (60g), apple cider vinegar (20g), mustard (1/2 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp). Program 3 minutes / 37C / Speed 4. Once the machine has reached 37C, stop the blades and zero the timer. Scrape down sides.
- Set to Speed 4 and slowly drizzle the oil over the lid so that it drips into the bowl onto the spinning blades. After you have finished drizzling all the oil, leave on Speed 4 for a further minute.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar and leave in the fridge until you need it.