Egg and Olive Salad
This salad is a refreshing change to the usual. It's hearty and delicious and will be devoured by your guests. With eggs, olives and a complex dressing, it really adds another taste and texture element to your dinner party. While we are serving it with theMiddle Eastern Crumbed Lamb Rumps, this salad makes a great accompaniment to grilled, pickled and cured meats, including fish!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It’s probably not the prettiest of side salads, but it is SO delicious! Such a great combination of flavours, with the added crunch of pine nuts and sesame seeds. We loved it. It was a great accompaniment to the barbecued pork we had for dinner." - Annie
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Serves 4-6 as a side salad
Cannot be frozen
- pine nuts - 50g
- sesame seeds - 25g
- onion - 60g, red, peeled and diced
- water - 400g
- eggs - 10, large
- olives - 120g, pitted green
- pepper - freshly ground black
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- fresh parsley - 5-10g, flat-leaf, leaves
- paprika - 1 tsp, sweet
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 or to taste
- lemon juice - 50g (from approx. 1 lemon)
- olive oil - 50g, extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 170C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Toast pine nuts (50g) and sesame seeds (25g) for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- While the seeds are toasting, place onion (60g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Transfer to a large salad bowl and set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, add water (400g) to the bowl. Add the eggs (10) to the internal steaming basket. Set the basket in place. Program 11 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1. 11 minutes will result in the egg yolks being quite soft. If you would prefer the yolks firmer, extend cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, immediately remove the basket with the aid of your spatula and place eggs under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Discard the water from the mixer bowl, and wash and dry the bowl.
- If eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and set aside. If eggs are not cool enough, make the dressing first then peel them.
- Place the garlic clove (1) and parsley (5-10g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the paprika (1 tsp), cayenne (1/2 tsp), lemon juice (50g), oil (50g), salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 15 seconds. Pour into a serving jug and set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, add olives (120g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 3 seconds.
- Add peeled eggs (8 only) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 3 seconds.
- Remove mixture and add to the salad bowl with the red onion. Add the toasted sesame seeds and pine nuts as well.
- Pour enough of the dressing onto the salad to moisten it, and toss lightly. Taste and season with pepper.
- To serve, pile the salad onto a serving plate or bowl and make a little well in the top. Slice the top off one of the reserved eggs to reveal the yolk and set it on top of the salad. You can repeat this for each person with the remaining egg.
- Sprinkle the egg and salad with a little paprika and serve at room temperature. Serve with remaining dressing