Egg and Bacon Pie
I just love this dish so much. It is so easy and packed full of budget-friendly deliciousness. The pastry comes from an old recipe clipping I have from many moons ago with a few tweaks I've made to make it foolproof for you. It is so incredibly easy to make and use you will wonder why you don't make it more often - Peta.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This pie is so tasty and impressive to look at. I think $10 for a family meal is pretty good. The cream cheese does increase the cost, but is definitely worth it. My kids both asked to take the leftovers to school and kinder for lunch." - Kylie
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Can be frozen
- bacon - 3, rashers, cut into strips
- eggs - 5
- cheese - 100g, grated (or grate from a block in Step 2)
- spring onions - 2, sliced (or half a bunch of chives, cut into small pieces)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- butter - 125g, cubed
- cream cheese - 250g
- plain flour - 220g
- salt - pinch
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease the quiche tin.
- Add blocks of cheese to the bowl (100g). Grate Speed 7 / 7 seconds. Set aside.
- Add butter (125g), cream cheese (250g), flour (220g) and a pinch of salt to the bowl. Speed 6 until just combined.
- Tip out dough on to the bench and knead by hand into a smooth ball. Place one third of the dough aside for the lid of the pie.
- Roll the larger portion of dough into a circle, half a centimetre thick. Place into the base of the quiche tin. Trim away the excess. Prick the base with a fork several times. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Place bacon (3 rashers sliced), cheese (100g) and eggs (5) into pastry shell. Sprinkle with shallots (2) and a little salt and pepper.
- Roll out the set aside portion of dough to half a centimetre thick. Cut into long strips and form a lattice design on the top of the pie. Cut off any excess dough. If preferred, you can use the full circle of dough as the pie lid in place of the lattice design.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until pastry is golden and eggs cooked through completely.
- Serve with salad or steamed vegetables.