When you really don’t want to spend hours cooking bread, damper is ideal. It is not only quick but very budget friendly as well. It can be made from simple ingredients that are easy to take on the road.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Fun and easy recipe that our 8yo son was able to whip up quickly and without a hitch. Delicious straight out of the oven with some extra butter and jam; to break up and have with cheese, relish or a dip; for nibblies; or to accompany a homemade soup. Crunchy on the outside and moist in the centre. Very tasty." - Annie
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- self raising flour - 450g, plus extra for dusting
- milk - 270g
- salt - 1 tsp
- butter - 80g
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, powder
- Add the flour (450g), milk (270g), salt (1 tsp), butter (80g) and stock powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 5 until it comes together.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured bench and knead into a round ball.
- Place ball into an ovenproof dish or tray and flatten slightly to help with even cooking. Score the top of the damper into wedges with a knife, approximately 1cm deep.
- Cook in the camp oven for 30-45 minutes. Alternatively, cook at 200C for 45-55 minutes. Once the top of the damper turns to a golden brown, cover with aluminium foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
Note: You may wish to flavour the damper with additional ingredients like onion, garlic, herbs, bacon, etc.