Easy Berry Pastries
This is such a simple recipe for making incredibly delicious breakfast pastries! Keep it in mind for when you have some leftover berries, cream cheese or pastry on hand. It is quite versatile in that you can use any variety of berry you like, and you could also increase the quantities if you prefer.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Looked tempting and tasted good." - Sue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes + 10 minutes cooling time
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
- puff pastry - 1 sheet, thawed
- berries of choice - 80g, fresh or frozen (e.g., strawberries or raspberries)
- egg - 1, beaten
- Cheese layer:
- cream cheese - 50g
- sugar - 10g
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- fresh mint - 5, leaves, chopped
- icing sugar - 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice - or water
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet (1) into 4 even squares.
- If you need to make your own icing sugar, add sugar (3 Tbsp) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the cream cheese (50g), sugar (10g), vanilla bean paste (1 tsp) and mint leaves (5) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds. Do not wash the bowl.
- Spread a little of the cheese mixture over each puff pastry square, leaving a 1cm border without the cheese mixture along each side.
- Add the berries (80g) to the unwashed bowl. If using fresh berries, mix Speed 3 / 4 seconds. If you are using frozen berries, mix on Speed 5 until a spreadable consistency has been reached. Scrape down sides and blend further if required.
- Spread a thin layer of the berry mixture over the cheese layer.
- Fold each corner of the pastry into the middle so that it looks like a square with a cross across it. Press the pastry edges together along the sides and middle.
- Place pastries onto the prepared tray. Brush with a beaten egg (1).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Place the icing sugar (3 Tbsp) into a small bowl. Add a few drops at a time of lemon juice or water until a thin glaze is achieved. You will not need much at all. Stir to combine and ensure it is smooth.
- Remove the pastries from the oven. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and drizzle with glaze.
Make your own!
* Make your own puff pastry with the Homemade Puff Pastry recipe from The Baking Issue, the Rough Puff Pastry recipe from The Freezer Issue or the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Bonus Issue.