Easter Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Carrot cake is a traditional Easter dish in Germany. It is usually decorated with little marzipan carrots and chocolate glaze. The taste is so wonderfully spicy and nutty. What makes this carrot cake so special is the light and fluffy texture. It is almost like biting into a cloud. The cinnamon and nuts go incredibly well with carrots and create this colourful delight that is perfect with a cup of tea at Easter. If you are decorating the cake with marzipan carrots, it is great fun for the kids to experiment with the shapes.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Quick and easy cake, with hearty ingredients and chocolate goodness!" - Diana
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 35-40 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- hazelnuts - 100g
- carrots - 200g, cut into large chunks
- caster sugar - 200g
- eggs - 3
- sunflower oil - 120g
- plain flour - 250g (*can use GF)
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- chocolate - 200g, dark (*omit for DF)
- double cream - 60g (*omit for DF)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line cake tin with baking paper.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (200g) to the bowl now and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Add hazelnuts (100g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 6 seconds. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the carrots (200g) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with the hazelnuts.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add the caster sugar (200g), eggs (3) and sunflower oil (120g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 3.
- Remove whisk attachment. Add the reserved nuts and carrots to the mixing bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Add the plain flour (250g), baking powder (1 tsp), vanilla (1/2 tsp), baking soda (1 tsp), salt (1/4 tsp) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Test by inserting a wooden skewer. If it comes out clean , it is baked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and put on the cooling rack. After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool down entirely.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate ganache, add chocolate (200g) to the bowl and blitz Speed 10 / 7 seconds. If you need a dairy free alternative, serve the cake without the chocolate ganache.
- Program 5 minutes / 37C / Speed 1.
- Add double cream (60g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 2-3 / 20 seconds.
- Spread over the cake and leave to set.