These super cute reindeer make a great holiday activity. From making and baking the batter to the assembly (great for fine motor skills!), kids will love putting their reindeer together. Note that there is a Gluten Free Cinnamon Donut recipe in The Desserts Issue that you can use in lieu of the donut batter featured here, but we are yet to find a gluten free replacement for pretzel antlers!
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Makes 12 reindeer
Cannot be frozen
- butter - 130g
- self raising flour - 250g
- sugar - 50g, or less if preferred
- milk - 160g
- egg - 1
- vanilla bean paste - 2 tsp
- cinnamon - pinch, ground
- icing sugar - 300g
- cacao powder - 2 Tbsp
- vanilla bean paste - 1/2 tsp
- water - 3 Tbsp, you may need more however
- chocolate - 12, red, crispy shelled, e.g. Jaffas
- marshmallows - 12, mini, white
- chocolate chips - 24, tiny (we found success with the no-name brands)
- pretzels - 24
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add butter (130g), flour (250g), sugar (50g), milk (160g), egg (1), vanilla (2 tsp) and cinnamon (pinch) to the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and blitz again briefly if needed.
- Spoon batter into the donut tray moulds. Batter should completely fill the moulds and cover across hole spacer so that there is no break in the batter. This will form the base of your reindeer.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Once they are finished, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Into the clean, dry bowl, add the ingredients for the glaze: icing sugar (300g), cacao (2 Tbsp), vanilla (1/2 tsp) and water (2 Tbsp only).
- Combine on Speed 5 until a thin icing starts to form. Stop and scrape down sides.
- Turn to Speed 4 and drizzle remaining water (1 Tbsp) through the lid.
- Transfer the glaze to your small bowl. It needs to be wide enough to fit the donut but narrow enough to have depth for dipping the donuts.
- Dip the cooled donuts into the glaze to completely cover the top. Transfer to a serving plate. Allow to set.
- Prepare your mini marshmallows by snipping the ends off them, and then snipping them in half with the scissors. This allows a sticky surface to show on both sides, which you will use to attach to your reindeer for eyeballs, and attach the choc chips for pupils.
- Drop your red coated chocolate into the centre of the donut as a nose.
- Break your pretzels to create antlers, and push them into the donut.
- Ready to serve! Either serve straight away, warm, or refrigerate until required.