How cool that you can make your own doner kebab at home! This fabulous recipe comes from one of our clever readers, Samantha, and it fits in perfectly with our breads, dips, fritters and pilaf from this section.
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes + overnight marinating time
Cooking Time Approx 40 minutes
Cooked meat can be frozen
- onion - 1
- garlic cloves - 2
- lamb fillet - 500g, cubed
- breadcrumbs - 100g, you can make your own (*use GF if required)
- salt - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1 Tbsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 Tbsp, ground
- vegetable stock - 1/2 Tbsp, concentrate paste
- water - 1L
- Add onion (1) and garlic (2 cloves) to the bowl. Set Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Onion should be very finely chopped.
- Add the lamb fillet (500g) to the bowl. Closed Lid / Turbo x 2-3 blasts to make mince.
- Add breadcrumbs (100g), salt (1 tsp), cumin (1 Tbsp), coriander (1 Tbsp) and stock paste (1/2 Tbsp) into the bowl.
- Blend Speed 9 / 10-20 seconds. Turbo once if not mixed together.
- You may wish to wear gloves for this step. Empty mince mix onto some baking paper and shape into a big sausage shape so it will fit into the internal steaming basket. Wrap it in cling wrap and leave it in the fridge to marinade over night to develop flavours.
- Once marinating is finished take it out of the fridge.
- Add 1L of water to the bowl and put your Doner Kebab mince (left in cling wrap) in the internal steaming basket lower dish.
- Set to 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3. Check that your meat is cooked through. If your mix is particularly thick, cook for longer.
- This is the fun bit - blow torching your meat! Please exercise caution and don’t allow children to do this step. Once meat is cooked, remove from the internal steaming basket and put it on a plate.
- Put a fork in the top of the kebab meat - this will stabilise the meat for the blow torch.
- Scorch the surface with a blow torch. Once your kebab is scorched like my in the picture its ready to start slicing vertically.
- Is your house smelling like a doner kebab shop yet? Serve with our delicious Pita Bread, Cauliflower Pilaf, dips and Zucchini Fritters. We have a delicious hommus recipe in Issue 01, and to mix cultures you could try this with our American BBQ Sauce recipe!