Devilled Sausages Meal Base
Get ready for a new family favourite that will make your life easier, because this one will have everyone coming back for seconds! Make up this meal base ahead of time and then add some cooked sausages (with any of your preferred extras), and you are well on your way to having a delicious family meal ready to go.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “My family loves sausages, so this meal was a bit of a hit. Adding the apple to the sausages in the final step was a new twist for us!" - Nicki
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 31 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- onion - 1/2, large, brown, peeled
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- oil - 10g
- water - 500g
- tomato paste - 75g
- Worcestershire sauce - 40g, *ensure GF if required
- brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- mustard powder - 2 tsp, yellow
- paprika - 1 tsp
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, cracked, black
- Serving suggestions:
- sausages - 8-16, beef or pork, to cook the meal
- onion - 1, peeled and sliced, to cook the meal
- apple - 1, peeled and sliced, to cook the meal
- potato - mashed, to serve
- Add the peeled onion (1/2) and peeled garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (10g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add the water (500g), tomato paste (75g), Worcestershire sauce (40g), brown sugar (1 Tbsp), yellow mustard powder (2 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), salt flakes (1 tsp) and cracked black pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.
- Fry the sausages (8-16) in a frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and slice them into bite-size pieces.
- Add the peeled and sliced onion (1) and peeled and sliced apple (1) to the pan. Cook until slightly softened.
- Add the sausages and the meal base to the onion mixture. If you are using 8 sausages, you can use half of the meal base and save the other half in the freezer for another meal. If you are using 16 sausages, use the full meal base.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own Worcestershire sauce with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.