Decorative Gel Room Freshener
These sweet smelling little jars are a gorgeous, useful homemade gift which won't break the bank. The recipe has been shared with us by Bee from Tick of Yum, out of her Scents and Centsability book.
Total Preparation Time 30 minutes
Makes 2 gift jars
- water - 500g
- salt - 50g
- gelatine - 50g, clear
- fragrance of choice
- food colouring - of choice, optional
- Put the water (500g) and salt (50g) in the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Wash out jars and/or containers well with hot soapy water – no need to sterilise.
- Wide mouth containers or jars are best as they let the fragrance out. No need to dry the jars completely, but shake as much water out as possible.
- Sprinkle the gelatin on top of the hot water in the bowl. Leave for 5 minutes
- In the meantime, add 1-2 drops of colour to the jars (if using), along with any decorations.
- Go back to your mixer. Program 5 minutes / 90C / Speed 3.
- Once finished, pour into the prepared jars/containers. Fill only HALF full.
- Add 5-10 drops of fragrance to each jar before the liquid has set. You can make each jar/container have a different colour and/or fragrance. Once cool, seal the jars/containers until needed. Each container should be fragrant for 2-4 weeks.
- The gel won’t completely set for 12 hours or so.
- To get the gel out of the jars, just scoop out with a spoon.