Dairy Free Cheesy Spelt Pasta
This recipe was created by the talented Nikalene Riddle of Skinnymixers.
"This is a vegan version of traditional macaroni and cheese, with up to six different kinds of vegetables making up the base of the sauce. It is creamy and cheesy, and has fooled the senses of many veggie loathing kids and hubbies. You can substitute the spelt pasta for traditional pasta, but the yeast flakes are highly recommended for that added 'cheesy' taste. The great thing about this recipe is that it makes four batches of sauce in one go, so you can freeze portions for quick weeknight dinners." - Nikalene
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Serves 4 family meal size portions
Can be frozen
- water - 1.2L
- pasta - 250-500g, spelt (*can use GF or wheat pasta)
- zucchini - 1 medium, medium rough chop
- carrot - 1 large, small rough chop
- cauliflower - 120g, roughly chopped
- potato - 200g, white, peeled, small rough chop
- sweet potato - 200g, peeled, small rough chop
- celery - 2 stalks, medium rough chop, no leaves
- cashew nuts - 100g (*can use sunflower seeds for NF option)
- water - 500g
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, concentrate, or chicken stock concentrate
- salt - 1-2 tsp, or Herbamere
- paprika - 1 tsp
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- nutritional yeast flakes - 2 tsp, (optional extra: don't go out and buy it specially)
- Add water (1.2L) to mixer bowl. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- While water is heating, prepare zucchini (1), carrot (1), cauliflower (120g), white potato (200g), sweet potato (200g), and celery (2) and arrange in steaming attachment lower dish.
- When timer is up, add pasta straight to the mixer bowl and put steaming attachment in place. Cook 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1. Stir veggies up half way through.
- Pasta should be al dente, drain water from pasta and reserve pasta to an insulated server pot.
- Put vegetables into mixer bowl and purèe on Speed 7 / 10 seconds. It does not matter if vegetables are not fully cooked.
- Add cashews (100g), water (500g), stock (1 Tbsp), salt (1-2 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), mustard (1 tsp) and nutritional yeast flakes (2 tsp). Cook 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Purèe on 1:30 minutes / Speed 9.
- Stir desired amount of sauce through pasta and serve.
- This will make at least 4 serves of 'cheesy' - freeze in portions and reuse for lasagne bèchamel, cheesy veg bake, tuna mornay, fish pies etc. You can substitute some of the veg for other veg.
- This recipe is extremely flexible and versatile. You can mix the veg up to use what you have. i.e. I don't eat white potato or celery, so I used 250g cauliflower instead and it was perfect.
- To reheat from frozen: defrost and mix for 2 minutes / 70C / Speed 2 and it will return to original consistency.