These delicious yet easy little morsels make for a great entree, especially when served with the tomato chilli sauce. These also make a great addition to salads.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are perfect for a BBQ or gathering of friends. Be warned, you definitely can't stop at one! The gooeyness of the cheese pairs perfectly with the crunchy crumb coating and the sweet yet slightly spicy sauce!" - Channy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes + frying time
Cannot be frozen
- eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- bocconcini - 250g, baby
- oil - for frying
- bread - 2 slices, day old, roughly broken up (*can use GF)
- plain flour - 1 Tbsp (*can use GF)
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- onion powder - 1/2 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - 50g
- dried italian herbs - 2 tsp
- Tomato chilli sauce:
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1/2, long red, deseeded
- onion - 1/4, red, peeled
- paprika - 2 tsp
- brown sugar - 30g
- tinned tomatoes - 200g, whole
- salt flakes - 1/2 tsp
- oil - 10g
- Place bread (2 slices), plain flour (1 Tbsp), garlic powder (1/2 tsp), onion powder (1/2 tsp), Parmesan cheese (50g) and Italian herbs (2 tsp) into the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Pour crumbs out into a large bowl.
- Place lightly beaten egg (1 only) into another bowl.
- Coat each of the baby bocconcini (250g) with egg and then the crumb mixture.
- Lay the bocconcini out on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Freeze for 30 minutes while you cook the sauce. Set aside any remaining crumbs.
Tomato chilli sauce:
- Place garlic cloves (2), chilli (1/2), red onion (1/4), paprika (2 tsp), brown sugar (30g), tomatoes (200g tin), salt (1/2 tsp) and oil (10g) into bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 16 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2. Place internal steaming basket on top of lid to prevent spatters. Set sauce aside in an insulated server.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until hot. Preheat oven to 120C.
- Carefully add bocconcini, one at a time, to the hot oil. Fry bocconcini in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Keep turning the bocconcini over to ensure they are crispy on all