Creased Ricotta Slice
This recipe comes from reader Nikolina T. She says, "Healthy means eating real foods that aren't packaged, are without additives and preservatives, and that my kids helped me make and I know they will eat! This is a traditional dish from Croatia that both young and old enjoy. It can be eaten on its own or as a side dish to meat and veg. It's perfect for lunchboxes and can also be frozen."
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I've never tasted or made anything like this before, but I'm glad I now have. It will be a regular side dish here as it is so easy to make." - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Makes 10 slices
Cannot be frozen
- ricotta cheese - 500g (make your own with the Ricotta Cheese recipe in The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue)
- milk - 50g
- yoghurt - 100g, Greek, or sour cream
- eggs - 3
- oil - 20g
- water - 60g, sparkling
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- filo pastry - 1 packet (approx. 375g, Nikolina recommends the Antoniou brand)
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan forced. Grease a baking dish.
- Add ricotta (500g), milk (50g), yoghurt (100g), eggs (2 only), oil (20g), water (60g), and salt and pepper (to taste) into the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Lay out 2 sheets of the filo pastry on the bottom of the baking dish.
Pour the ricotta mixture into a large bowl.
Take one sheet at a time of the filo pastry, scrunch it up slightly, dip it into the ricotta mixture until completely covered, squeeze excess out very gently and then place it in the baking tray on top of the flat filo sheets.
- Continue with this until the tray is full. Make sure you leave 1-2 sheets to cover the top.
Place the 2 reserved filo pastry sheets over the scrunched up sheets. Tuck them in around the edges very gently.
- Whisk the remaining egg (1) in a small bowl and using a pastry brush, brush over the sheets.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes until golden on top. Time will depend on your oven. Keep a close eye after 25 minutes as you don't want the top to burn and the filling to dry out.
- Serve as a great alternative to potatoes, pasta and rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.