Creamy Chicken “Pasta”
This is a healthy take on a traditionally rich pasta dish. The delicious flavour allows you to forget this is loaded with vegetables, which keeps the cost down and the flavour up. Keep an eye out for sales on chicken breast as you can often pick some up for as low as $6.99 a kilo. It's great to freeze and have on hand for meals like this one.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "All good and tastes yum!" - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Sauce can be frozen
- Creamy chicken sauce:
- chicken breast - 600-700g, skinless fillet, cut into 1cm thick slices
- dried herbs of choice - 2-3 tsp
- cauliflower - 600g, florets, cut into pieces
- onion - 200g, brown, peeled and cut into pieces
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- coconut oil - 20g, or olive oil
- water - 350g, filtered
- vegetable stock - 25g, paste
- Vegetable pasta:
- carrots - 380g, peeled into tagliatelle (approx. 2-3 large carrots)
- zucchini - 250g, peeled into tagliatelle (approx. 1 medium zucchini)
- Toppings: (optional)
- coconut oil - or lard, for frying
- bacon - 200-300g, or prosciutto (nitrate and preservative free), cut into 1cm pieces
- mushrooms - 300-400g, cut into 1cm pieces
- Place cut chicken breast (600-700g), herbs (2-3 tsp), salt and pepper into a glass bowl and mix well to coat chicken with seasoning. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower (600g) into the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Place onion (200g) and garlic cloves (2) into the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off. Place the internal steaming basket basket on top to avoid splatters. While this is cooking, slice your vegetables into pasta shapes.
- Remove the internal steaming basket and place chopped cauliflower into the basket. Using your spatula, press it down into basket slightly. Scrape down sides. Move the onion and garlic from the bowl to the internal steaming basket.
- Add water (350g) and stock paste (25g) to the bowl. Set the internal steaming basket in place.
- Place the chicken onto the steaming attachment upper tray in a single layer. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- While chicken is cooking, place a frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and allow to warm. Fry bacon (200-300g) and mushrooms (300-400g) until slightly golden and crisp.
- Remove from pan and set aside until needed.
- Add the carrot (380g) and zucchini (250g) pasta pieces to the steaming attachment lower dish. Use the spatula to separate chicken pieces to ensure even cooking. Set the steaming attachment back in place. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Ensure chicken is cooked through. Set chicken and vegetables aside in the steaming attachment lower dish. Remove the internal steaming basket with the aid of your spatula and set aside. Pour liquid from the mixing bowl into a separate jug.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the bowl. Pour in 250g of the reserved liquid. Program 1 minute / Speed 5-9, increasing speed gradually. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Pour into a heatproof dish to keep warm.
- Place chicken into the bowl. Shred Reverse+Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Add chicken to the cauliflower mixture and stir. Cover to keep warm.
- To serve, place vegetable noodles in a bowl or plate, top with creamy chicken sauce and sprinkle with optional toppings.