Growing up we rarely got dessert, but when we did it was peaches in jelly with ice cream or 'creamed rice'. Do you know it? That's rice in a tin. OK, it sounds horrible but boy did we love it growing up. It was a special treat to get that! I have tried for years to recreate the exact flavour and failed until recently. I have now nailed it! This is so delicious served on its own or with some stewed fruit. Budget but so good! -Peta.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is the ultimate comfort dessert - sweet, creamy and a real belly-warmer on a cold winter evening. Our whole family enjoyed this, the adults with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon on top, the kids with a swirl of pureed fruit." -Melissa
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen in individual serves and reheated but best served fresh either warm or cooled
- milk - 1000g, (*can use coconut milk)
- arborio rice - 170g
- brown sugar - 90g
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- Place milk (1000g) and rice (170g) into bowl.
- Program 30 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 1.5. Sit internal steaming basket on the lid of the machine.
- Add brown sugar (90g) and vanilla (1 tsp).
- Program 5 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 1.5. Sit internal steaming basket on the lid of the machine.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes then serve or allow to cool before serving.
Note: This is great for babies 12+ months and is much cheaper than store bought rice puddings. Simply omit the sugar and add some pureed fruit to the rice before serving.