Cranberry Mandarin Muffins
These muffins, shared with us by Sam from The Annoyed Thyroid, are sugar and spice and all things nice. They’re not super sweet, so you could easily eat them for breakfast... or at lunch, or for tea, or at any time of day, because whenever you eat these muffins, you’re going to love them! They can be made in advance and are very freezer friendly. Simply freeze them in a single layer in an airtight container, or in individual ziplock bags to grab and go!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Very tasty muffins on their own or slathered with butter and citrus marmalade. My husband and I managed to eat half the batch in a day, the other half I had to freeze so we would stop eating them!" - Shannah
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- sugar - 100g, raw
- plain flour - 250g
- baking powder - 2.5 tsp
- bicarb soda - 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- nutmeg - 1/4 tsp
- mandarins - 2, zest and juice (or 1 large orange)
- milk - 125g, approx.
- egg - 1
- butter - 75g, softened
- cranberries - 150g
- chocolate chips - 50g, dark, optional
- demerara sugar - 3 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line muffin tray.
- Place raw sugar (100g) into the bowl and mill for Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Add flour (250g), baking powder (2.5 tsp), bicarb (1/2 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and nutmeg (1/4 tsp) to bowl and mix Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Grate the zest of the mandarins and add to the dry mixture and combine by hand.
- Set the scales and squeeze the mandarin juice into the bowl. You may wish to use a citrus juicer. Add the milk (125g) until it comes to the 200g mark and then mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add the egg (1) and butter (75g) to the bowl and mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add the reserved dry ingredient mixture into the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 5 seconds, using the spatula to help mix if required. Don’t over mix! Remember a lumpy mixture makes the best muffins!
- Add the cranberries (150g) and chocolate chips (50g) if using, and mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, using the spatula to assist if required.
- Use an ice cream scoop to spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cases and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. They should feel just firm when pressed in the centre.
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Either eat warm slathered with butter and marmalade, or freeze so they are ready to go. Transport in an airtight container.