Corned Beef Silverside with Mustard Sauce
You can often pick up a beef silverside on special at the supermarkets, but even when it isn't on special it's a a thrifty cut of meat. Even better – the liquid used to steam this meat then creates a yummy sauce that you can use for this meal and others. It makes for a great stock for soups!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I made this for my hubby and myself yesterday. I have made corned beef in my mixer before and found it a very long process. This was delicious, quick and easy! I also made pumpkin soup out of the leftover pumpkin and sauce." - Bec
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- water - 1.5L
- onion - 1, large, peeled and quartered
- balsamic vinegar - 30g
- tomato paste - 55g
- mustard - 25g, wholegrain
- pumpkin - 500g, peeled and diced
- corned beef - 1.5kg, silverside
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- mustard - 1 tsp, wholegrain
- Add water (1.5L), onion (1), vinegar (30g), tomato paste (55g) and mustard (25g) to the bowl.
- Add pumpkin (500g) to the internal steaming basket and set aside for later.
- Set the steaming attachment in place. Scrunch a large piece of baking paper under running water and use it to cover the base of the lower dish of the steaming attachment.
- Put the corned beef (1.5kg) on the baking paper, and put the remaining tomato paste (1 Tbsp) and mustard (1 tsp) on the beef, rubbing all over. Close the lid of the steaming attachment. Program 70 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. If your mixer does not allow programming above 60 minutes, simply program 60 minutes, then 10 minutes.
- After cooking time is complete, set the pumpkin in place. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add in any green vegetables to the steaming attachment lower dish that you may have on hand and wish to steam. For vegetables like potatoes and carrots, cut into small pieces and steam for 20-30 minutes.
- Set aside the corned beef and the vegetables, removing the steaming attachment and internal steaming basket.
- Put the lid on and slowly blend by gradually increasing the speed to Speed 8 / 30 seconds, measuring cap on. Please read your machine's user manual for correct method of safely blending soups as each machine varies.
- Slice the beef and serve with vegetables, drizzled in sauce.