Cornbread is a much loved side dish in America, particularly in the South. It is a dense cake-like bread made primarily from polenta/cornmeal. It is not only delicious and aromatic, but so quick to get on the table... unlike traditional bread! Try making your own cornbread to serve with your Sloppy Joes or the like. It's a great addition!
Tap here to return to the American BBQ planning guide.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a simple, quick and easy recipe for a nice, basic cornbread." - Liv
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 2 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- plain flour - 160g, can be wholemeal
- polenta - 170g
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- salt - 1 Tbsp
- sugar - 1 Tbsp, optional
- buttermilk - 260g, or milk
- eggs - 2
- butter - 50g, melted
- butter - extra, or oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 20cm cake tin with butter or oil.
- Place flour (160g), polenta (170g), baking powder (2 tsp), salt (1 Tbsp), sugar (1 Tbsp), milk (260g), eggs (2) and butter (50g) to bowl. Speed 5 / 6 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat, Speed 5 / 6 seconds.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool on wire cooling rack for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.